dinsdag 17 mei 2011

AVWS - Week Six.

My last week was different, first of all it wasn't the same without my lady. A different atmosphere was covering Aspen Valley...Spring brings busier times and that means that the tension rises at the sanctuary! Some things went perfect, other projects failed, you win some...you loose some! Anyway...Springtime after all! The first Swallows, Hummingbirds...and Flowers are popping everywhere...
















Often I wandered through the sanctuary looking for what we had lost and I mostly ended my trips with a visit to the Artic Wolves. The sisters are shy but once they get to know you, all they want to do is play...they are just happy and smile!















One of my dearest friends was laughing lately about the fact that he couldn't see any wild bears on the picture of the sanctuary property. Here you go Jean...a juvenile bear challenged me by standing up on his backlegs as I approached him! The other one is the most impressive black bear I've seen so far...I just wished he'd stood up towards me like the juvenile!


The last day of my stay at Aspen Valley, I managed to finish the masterpiece...the big platform for Subira is a fact! The T-post, the ropes and the logs for her to play with are there...I hope the staff will use the new construction to give this African Lioness her daily exercise, I'm sure they will!!! I want to thank Ed, Jock and Joe for helping me on this project! I couldn't have done it without you guys, thanks! I also want to thank the staff for giving me the opportunity and the trust to work in this enclosure. And thanks Subira...for your patience!



Spring brings new life, new birds...I saw eleven Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) soaring and playing, enjoying the warm breeze, looking for food above Aspen Valley. A Broad-Winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) was surveying for prey on a nearby electric wire. This raptor is no bigger than a crow and mixed forests are his favourite.

And everybody is enjoying spring, as I was wandering around I saw a fox (probably suffering from mange) having his lunch up in the forest. I saw a rehabilitating bear enjoying his now peaceful life high up in the trees and the American Robin – Le Merle d'Amérique (Turdus migratorius) enjoyed a quiet sunset.
















Another chapter is written, we had a great time at Aspen Valley. We enjoyed every opportunity to work with the animals. We want to thank Julia and Marilyn for having us at Aspen Valley and for the accomodation, the good care, understanding and supervision! I want to thank Ed and Jock for the enjoyable moments we had together during work, eventhough we had to do some fucked up jobs, we kept on laughing. We want to thank Joe...for just being Joe, we loved it...thanks and take care man! Thanks to all the other Volunteers and last but not least: thank you Jan and Brenda, it was nice working with the both of you, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. Good luck Aspen Valley, we wish you all the best and...so long Gandalf!!!


We're reunited and in the Niagara Region now! I promise less text, less animals and more survival news so keep on reading my dear friends...


Yours sincerely

T H&Th.

1 opmerking:

  1. Nog maar eens een prachtige blog jongens! Bedank jullie meteen nogmaals voor de prachtige gepersonaliseerde geschenken door Hannah meegebracht. Geniet nu maar wat, jullie hebben de laatste weken heel wat gewerkt heb ik begrepen. Het ga jullie goed!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen