zondag 3 april 2011

Georgian Bay Area - Parry Sound.

A few days ago, we left Algonquin for Georgian Bay. This beautiful bay is very touristic in the summer season but right now...everything is closed, even the provincial parks so we drove and we drove and we...drove, ending up in Parry Sound without a real goal. The only positive thing by then was that the weather was gonna be beautiful, they promised us some pre-spring days...And hey Parry Sound was not to bad, we found a beautiful spot to spend the night and we just hang around for two days enjoying the weather, the view and the people passing by!


The bay is still frozen but the view was magnificient. We had a very nice hike along the shoreline and we enjoyed watching the last icefishers going up on the ice waiting patiently by a little hole till the trout decided whether or not he wanted to end up in the frying pan. So off we went to go and see the fishermen...well we did not, I didn't pay very much attention and I went through the ice close by the shore. Pretty, cold I can tell you...I fell very strange in order to save my camera and I got off with some scratches and a strange shake in my body. I was thinking it all over while my clothes were drying and I know now that you have to be careful close by the shoreline because thats where the ice breaks when the water moves and it gets very thin at some places. At other places the ice is pushed up by the water and it's so solid that you actually can stand on it!!!

 

The next day I couldn't find my sunglasses so it must have fell in the water while I was struggling to save the rest. I went back on the ice and broke it again where I went through to search for it. I was about tree feet deep and I could see the bottom very clearly lying flat on the ice to spread my weight...well I found my glasses a few hours later in one of Hannah's shoes...perfect fit : )! Before all that happened, a guy promised us to take us out icefishing the next day so we were very excited! He'd come and get us at ten a.m. and he never showed up...A lot of Ring-billed Seagulls (Larus delawarensis) showed up instead, beautiful!


Well we didn't go icefishing but this lonely man did while we were enjoying this beautiful sunset, we'll be back in Parry Sound by the 15th of May for a canoe trip to the thousand islands with Peter...if he shows up : )!

So after some new adventures a new challenge has come up! We're the first volunteers of 2011 at Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary (Rosseau) and we can assure you that it will be great! I write this story while the Wolves are howling and I can already tell you that Gandalf will be my responsibility for the next six weeks so keep on reading folks...and oh yeah...the sanctuary doesn't do birds so that gives me the opportunity to focus on new worlds, the worlds of Wolves and Bears and many more...AWESOME!

G'dnight-G'dmorning

T&H-Howling with Wolves.




1 opmerking:

  1. koud he, zo'n ijsbad! Hier heerlijk lenteweertje en ... 'k weet wel dat jullie genieten maar zo'n zonnetje doet hemels deugd :-)
    Liefs
    meter Anneke en Enzo

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen